Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The Monster Bear



A cowboy going to investigate mutilated cattle near the edge of the forest encounters a huge grizzly bear. The massive grizzly towers over the man as it stands on it hind legs and prepares to lunge. The cowboy draws his six-shooter as he frantically tries to keep his terrified horse under control.

I originally created this artwork a few years ago as an illustration for a wild west adventure story (hence the vertical orientation to go on a book cover). The deal fell through though before I was done and I forgot about this image. A few days ago, though, I came across it while cleaning some old art files off my hard drive. I rather liked the dime-novel/pulp fiction feel that it had, so I decided to finish it up and publish it to my gallery.

The cowboy/gunslinger wears high leather boots with spurs, brown pants, a light colored shirt, suspenders, a wide black leather belt, and, of course, a brown cowboy hat. He is riding a pinto mustang with black mane, tail and fetlocks. He has got his revolver raised and ready. The bear is a massive brown grizzly bear standing more than twenty feet tall (impossibly large, but heck, this was for a tall tale). The scene takes place at the edge of a forest next to a small pond or creek.

This digital artwork was created using CGI techniques as well as some more traditional painting techniques.

Tools used: Poser, Vue, GIMP, Photomatix

No comments:

Post a Comment