Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Owl Parliament



A group of owls sits perched on the edge of an old, moss covered bird bath. Representing several species, they seem to be holding a council or meeting of some sort. As it is fall, perhaps they have met to discuss the coming winter. There is a great grey owl, a great horned owl, and a snowy owl. They are flanked by two smaller barn owls. Each of them is subtly reflected in the still waters of the bird bath. All of the owls look back at, you, the viewer. Around them, the old twisted oaks have begun to shed their leaves for the autumn, yet the trunks are still covered in a deep green moss. Meanwhile a subtle mist drifts through the forest foliage.

For this work, I wanted to present a rather mysterious scene featuring some of the owl models I've sculpted over the past few months. As predators, I find that owls can, in some ways, be a bit creepy. So in order to emphasize this, I made them all staring back at the viewer, as if you have just interrupted their meeting. But I also like the idea that they are having some sort of council of the wise (as owls are a symbol of wisdom).

For the environment, I wanted an intense but unusual palette of colors. So I picked orange and green to dominate the scene and give it a surreal sense.

Thanks for looking!
Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment